Zeewind

Zeewind

woensdag 6 juni 2012

Item I like most

I consider my iPad2 the most valuable item I have on board. Through its inbuilt GPS it will give me my position whereever I am on my Navionics maps. Be it in detail within a harbor entrance, or at large at sea. The iNav app from Apple offers basic navigation tools, while the X-traverse Navionics maps give me worldwide guidance even if ever I plan to visit remote areas. I keep the iPad in à plastic cover and in what I call my 'dry box', in which the bottom is covered with a thick layer of moisture absorbing crystals in bags. 
Feeding the X-traverse maps into the iPad should prefarably be done in a Wifi environment, because of its bulk. That may far exceed the costs of the iPad and charts, which as such kept me somewhere in the region of 1000 euros. However, my KPN provider allowed me three months free loading as a newcomer.  X-traverse allows for an ample period to load the charts, if direct loading would prove inconvenient.
The only drawback so far - you cannot use the iPad in direct sunlight.

Geen opmerkingen: